R&D Process Engineer
University of Iowa Research Park
Iowa City, IA
Applied Food Sciences is a global health and wellness company leading the way in food innovation. We strive to provide nutritionally sound, value added ingredients to make our clients’ products better. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop nutritional solutions that will change the course of human health. We value our people’s passion for science, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With clients in more than 10 countries – and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Applied Food Sciences’ position in Process Engineering searches for the ideal candidate to use their knowledge of engineering, chemistry, health, food science, microbiology, biotechnology, and other sciences to propose, prepare, conduct, direct, and analyze operations data, experiments and plant trials. The objectives are to further company knowledge and develop new and better processes, products and productivity improvements. This R&D Process Engineer will engage in product or process development (such as development of new processing strategy or equipment), in productivity improvements and somewhat in quality resolution for making robust processes.
This R&D Process Engineering position will provide project assistance to others in various manufacturing and R&D groups throughout the Applied Food Sciences Manufacturing and Operations teams as well as provide independent project planning and execution. Work will be completed at our new Innovation Center, in our manufacturing facilities, and in customer R&D centers.
Design experiments to reflect both small and large-scale manufacturing systems. Author experimental plans, experimental reports and trial authorizations. Execute experiments, plant trials and plans for improving the processes at Applied Food Sciences’ manufacturing partner locations. Design process improvements to meet technical needs. This includes the creation of mass balances, process flow diagrams, and cost estimation for modifying processes. The candidate will also lead capital projects and support their definition and implementation.
Continuously build a body of technical knowledge around Applied Food Sciences’ unit operations, processes and intellectual properties.
Develop and communicate variances and provide improvements in operating standards and equipment to meet Applied Food Sciences’ goals on quality and productivity. Develop ideas to improve overall plant performance using sound engineering sciences. Analyze data for ongoing operations to provide direction on upgrades for improved quality and cost. Lead site-specific programs or projects leveraging site plus global and external resources. Exert personal influence cross functionally to define solutions to technical issues.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Chemical, Food, Biochemical, Agricultural Engineering or MS in Food Science.
- 1 to 2 years of full-time engineering experience required.
- 3 to 10 years of Process Engineering duties with unit operations applicable to Applied Food Sciences (extraction, separation, sterilization/pasteurization, drying, etc.) preferred.
- Beverage industry and flavor chemistry experience a bonus
Knowledge / Skills
- Theories, principles, methods and procedures of applicable field of engineering
- Statistics and experimental design
- PSM principles Safety practices and policies
- Quality Systems Policies and Procedures
- Design and manage projects
- Collect, process and analyze data
- Develop creative solutions to complex research problems
- Communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Work effectively both independently and within teams
Paid Internship Marketing/Advertising
350 Terry Street Suite 200
Longmont, CO 80501
Applied Food Sciences, Inc. (AFS) focuses on research & development of specialty ingredients for supplements, food & beverages. AFS is seeking a paid intern to assist in developing their skills marketing functional benefits of our botanical extracts.
Intern will develop skills in:
- Social Media Automation
- SEO Integration and Maintenance
- Google AdWords
- CRM Management
- Email Marketing
- Press Release Writing
- Amazon Ad Space
- More depending on scope of interest and skill
Please contact us with a short description on why you would like to be considered for this opportunity. AFS can work with applicant’s schedule as most work can be done remotely or from school. However, some initial training will have to be done in person.